Rumours of a new guitarist!

April 30, 2007 by

Wolfmother new guitaristMembers on the Wolfmother forums are feverishly discussing the news/rumour that a new guitarist might be joining the band soon. Unfortunately I have no source to quote, but apparently the news was in an interview that appeared in the Australian Sunday Mail this weekend.

Forum member wolfranco says:

“there was a one page interview with wolfmother and on the bottom it said there will be another guitarist joining the band, after may sometime, it said he is 18 years of age from NSW. he will be joining the band when they start recording their second album.”

Fans reaction on the forum is mixed, with many worried about the impact it might have on the band, not to mention the age difference.

If you have read this news also, let us know. And any further details on this mysterious newcomer would be appreciated!

[update]Having had no confirmation of the source, I have to assume that this was a hoax/wind-up. It has raised some interesting discussion, so not all is lost – but the likelihood of it being ‘real’ news is small.

Comments

23 Responses to “Rumours of a new guitarist!”

1. Wolfmutter on May 1st, 2007 5:18 am

Oh No!! This might be good, but a new member means I’ll have to tell my grandchildren that I wasn’t able to see WM while they were still a power trio!

Oh yeah, are they touring this summer or are they heading back to the studio?

2. JimmiP on May 1st, 2007 2:49 pm

i am really unsure about a new guitarist as the band, wolfmother I’ve grown to love and who is my absolute favorite band consists of 3 members, Andrew, Myles and Chris….
    hmmmmm will it work?

3. balla j on May 2nd, 2007 1:36 am

No probs not… i dislike the notion alot its a 3 dawg band! i think a 4th would gum up the works

4. TommyGun on May 2nd, 2007 11:59 pm

I was really suprised, considering they’ve been billed internationally as the rebirth of the power trio. I don’t have anything against it, though. It will probably give Andrew more room for cool solos (we’ve seen Robert Plant Andy, now we can see Jimmy Page Andy).
    WOLFMOTHER II is gonna rock regardless.

5. Me on May 3rd, 2007 6:55 pm

Wolfmother are amazing as they are. Their gig was the best I’ve been to so far! They don’t need a 4th person.

6. kvitvik_jr on May 5th, 2007 9:29 pm

This is AWSOME!!
    I like them the way they are now, but if they want a new guy, there’s propably a good reason…..
    Right?

7. James Sherrill on May 7th, 2007 3:11 pm

Well, I saw Wolfmother for the first time a couple of days ago, and it was the greatest show I’ve ever seen! I was amazed that they sounded that full with only one guitarist, (I had always asumed that they did a lot of double tracking), and I don’t particularly like the idea of a second player. But it is THEIR band and their choice, we are all just choosing to listen to them do what they do. I will respect their decision.

8. A0K on May 9th, 2007 5:49 am

Why would they have a guitarest with a paper bag on his head?

9. David on May 10th, 2007 8:03 pm

I always thought that wolfmother getting a guitarist would give andrew more of a chance to sing more and come in with solos. Lets hope they sound good

10. Cole on May 10th, 2007 10:55 pm

No, they shouldent get a new guitar player, there amazing with just the three of them, im hoping it stays that way

11. saodmv on May 16th, 2007 2:58 am

12. Andrew M on May 16th, 2007 12:11 pm

i think if they are getting a new member, they will make sure he is worthy to play with them. i’ve seen them live and if they are that good with three people then imagine them with four

13. F.SSS on May 19th, 2007 5:36 pm

I think they need him. Andy can’t reach a great level singing when he’s playing guitar at the same time.

14. Abraham on May 26th, 2007 1:55 am

Don’t know if this is good or bad. I hope it’s not true, but if it is I’m sure I’ll learn to love it.

15. cam oliver on June 1st, 2007 1:00 am

i’ve got mixed feelings on what to expect with a 4th member, especially being 10 years younger. but you cant say it wont work, they’ve had 1 album as a trio, and they’ll have their second album as a foursome. if the first one rocked that hard, i dont see 1 member screwing up the original 3. not to mention….if wolfmother likes this guy, he must fit in. cant judge til we hear it!!

16. ES on June 20th, 2007 5:28 pm

Any addition to the band would be great. They are an excellent power trio, which is a proven formula (it obviously worked for the likes of Cream and the Jimi Hendrix Experience), but another member would just make them even more amazing. The new guitarist could allow Andrew to focus on winging and soloing, or he could be the soloist (face it, Andrew’s solos aren’t particularly mind-blowing). I do not think they could add new singer instead, however. Andrew’s voice it too distinctive. Imagine Zeppelin with, say, Roger Daltrey. A good singer, but ughh!

17. ES on June 20th, 2007 5:28 pm

i mean singing, not “winging”. My bad.

18. pamo on June 27th, 2007 5:09 am

hey… wolfmother is amazing… i dont care if they´re 3 or 4… i mean… i really got shoked when i first heard them! (sorry 4 my english)
    but anyways… i bet they’ll sound great being 4!
    though they’re the best trio band i’ve ever heard!

19. Andrew on July 7th, 2007 3:21 am

Having a 4th member for andy to sing more kinda misses the point for me. I like the way andy vocals contribute now because there is a good balance between him singing and the band climaxing to the sound of screaming strings and rocking drums.I don’t see how wolfmother could get any better but they will still stay my favourite regardless. I just hope that they go forward. Cant wait for there next album

20. Mark on September 8th, 2007 11:55 am

I think you are all worried for nothing. If Rush, Budgie, Mahogany Rush, Rory Gallagher’s Taste are a formula to go by, power-house trios like Wolfmother are here to stay, those bands Cream & Jimi Hendrix invented Rock trios, Lets not forget Robin Trower & Canada’s Triumph! I am sure there are many more, besides, Rush tried a 4th musician & it didn’t work!

21. nigga on October 10th, 2007 6:01 am

hell ya they need another guitarist. he is way too talented to express his shit with one guitar

imagin led zeppelin or metallica as a trio. wouldnt be as powerful as they were would they?

22. Merrill Amram on October 22nd, 2007 12:39 am

it was back in 99, watching movies all the tim. Merrill Amram.

23. ME on December 26th, 2008 9:21 pm

There is a newby and he is my cousin. They originally wanted him but he was unavailable. Now he is on the new album, so anyone who has any doubts will be happy once they hear him. He is an amazing person and player.