It’s going to be Mammoth! (?)

February 17, 2008 by

[update]- it seems that those of you who doubted this were right. The forum member below decided it would be funny to fool everyone into believing this. Ha Ha. Nice one. That said, I do think it would make a great album title and a great album cover …

Over in the Wolfmother Forums, member “lord satan” (yeah I know, doesn’t instantly inspire confidence, but read on … ) claims to have an inside scoop on the new album! He says that it’s going to be released mid-year (something I think we were all coming to believe) and will be called Mammoth.

Here’s the Frank Frazetta artwork mock-up of the cover (click for bigger):

Wolfmother's Second Album: Mammoth

Now due warning, this might be a wind-up, or it could be genuine. If it is indeed true then I for one am excited, I love the title, I love the artwork, and the release date is ‘okay’ (it could be worse)!

Possibly two more cover art mock-ups to come too.

Comments

31 Responses to “It’s going to be Mammoth! (?)”

1. COTW on February 17th, 2008 5:57 pm

personally i dont like it, just because its too bright whereas the other covers like for the singles and first album where all quite dark settings

2. piriod on February 17th, 2008 6:09 pm

uuh… mid-year? they said it would be released early 07 :(
    nice cover though :)

3. piriod on February 17th, 2008 6:12 pm

08* :P

4. Gana on February 17th, 2008 7:26 pm

I like it! Looks exciting, lets just hope it’s true.

5. Pat on February 18th, 2008 3:28 am

That’s awesome! If that’s the cover, it stayed to true to the style of last album. Very Very Cool!
    I don’t care how long it takes for them to finish it, as long as they get it the way they want it and make the best it can be! Keep rockin!

6. The Vegabond on February 18th, 2008 5:12 pm

Too Bright?

The cover is amazing. It’s completely Wolfmother. It’s unique. I’m a little down about the late release, but I am all excited about it! The first album is just perfect, and the second is still going to top it. Keep Rockin’ Wolfies!

7. Frank on February 20th, 2008 5:47 pm

if this is true im glad they stuck with frazettas art…his stuff def suits the band

8. Henza on February 22nd, 2008 8:13 am

I don’t really like how the guys ass is showing but i think its a good title…. i reckon the cover could be a tiny bit better but i still like it

9. stockdale on February 23rd, 2008 2:43 am

im soo excited bout the new album stockdale, myles and chris rock my world but does any1 no the release date for the album????

10. the dude with the flute on February 25th, 2008 1:47 am

The artwork is stupendous (its hard for it not to be considering frank frazetta) although i do have one big problem wirh the title. its not wolfmother. i know, i know, who am i to tell the band what is and isn’t “wolfmother”. but what im saying is that the band’s first album delt very deeply with mysticism and the supernatural or in the words of chris Ross, “super sexual physcadelic tsunami” and the title of this album is very epic indeed, but it doesnt have an aura of magic that the first album did. this might might have meant the band has decided to take their sound in a new direction (boy, do i hope not.) unless, of course, this title is used merely to describe the band’s sound for this album, then i am sure that it will be very accurate.

11. Pat on February 26th, 2008 5:02 pm

the dude with the flute,
    If what we see is an exact cover, then there is no mention of “Mammoth.” I have a feeling that whatever it’s “called,” if there isn’t any mention of the name on the cover (as it appears now), it’s hard to believe anyone outside these forums won’t think of it as simply Wolfmother II (which is just my opinion/speculation).

Personally, I believe Mammoth fits them: Big sound and Big Hair!

12. Taco on February 26th, 2008 8:42 pm

Mammoth is like the most fit title for their album right now. I wanna know when the release date it, im so stoked for the album!

13. the dude with the flute on February 28th, 2008 1:13 am

I appreciate the input pat, I’m a freelance writer and photographer and you can also catch me on rollingstone.com as “riffcritic”

14. the dude with the flute has a question and on February 28th, 2008 1:22 am

Why do the larger and smaller versions of the artwork differ? (might want to figure that out, chimaera)

15. poopy mcflop on March 1st, 2008 11:45 pm

well i think it sounds pretty good but the pic of it is definitely suss. someone just stuck wolfm other on the frazetta pic. which is pretty easy to find.

16. Anonymous on March 3rd, 2008 10:55 am

It was all bollicks after all

17. Sphere on March 4th, 2008 7:44 pm

Ok, it’s cool, but the image seems so fake: the logo of the band looks like it has been pasted with ms paint, loosing a lot of image quality. Then there isn’t the title.
    That’s all, excusme for my English, I’m only a great fan of the wolfies from Italy.
    Bye.

18. Dougherty on March 5th, 2008 10:11 pm

Yeah, I think Sphere is right about the cover simply having wolfmother pasted onto it. Look at http://www.thehibbitts.net/troy/images/mammoth.jpg
    or just type “frazetta mammoth” onto a search engine. This picture has already been made and the wolfmother was pasted onto it.

19. chimaera on March 8th, 2008 3:59 pm

Okay folks it seems that this is indeed absolute rubbish. The forum member in question thought it would be funny and I am sure he enjoyed himself.

That said, it is a great title and that would be great artwork …

20. Jon on March 11th, 2008 3:06 am

I love the name mammoth, i its the album title that brought the same type of “well why didnt anyone else think of that” feel as White Stripe’s “Elephant” which i would imagine we could all agree is a incredible album as well, although i do like the artwork pretty good, i doubt its real. mammoth may be real [ and i hope it is] but i dont imagine a band releasing the artwork before they can even release the title of more then one song..”WOLFMOTHER:MAMMOTH” i love that

21. old man winter on March 11th, 2008 8:45 am

yes, nice artwork. is it originally made or just taken from somewhere else. too elaborate for mock artwork so im placing my bets on stolen artwork :p

22. Jon on March 12th, 2008 6:06 pm

i think that any of Frazettas portraits that portray some type of black magic or prehistoric feeling it’ll be fine. i really love frazettas work, so im sure anything will be great. i REALLY want to hear a sample from the cd sometime soon tho..hopefully Back Home since supposebly thats Andrews favorite song right now…btw does anyone else think that Back Home doesnt sound like a Wolfmother song?

23. Jon on March 15th, 2008 8:04 pm

i thot i would say this since i found this out jus recently, alot of people have heard about the song Back Home, Stockdales Favorite on the new album, But ive recently heard of another track titled “Love Attacker”…so ya jus thot some ppl might like to kno that

24. Henza on March 16th, 2008 12:03 am

hopefuly pleased to meet you (love attacker) isnt going to appear on the album because out of all wolfmothers songs PTMY is the worst, and if this is going to be an epic album this song won’t fit. And the lysics of this song is terrible and stockdales singing isnt as good as it should be.

25. chimaera on March 16th, 2008 3:03 pm

I actually like Pleased to Meet You (which was previously Love Attacker), but it would be a bit crap to put it on the new album when it’s been around for 18 months already.

Apparently some Australian radio station announced that the had heard (via rolling stone) that the new album was to be called Mammoth. Which is quite funny considering we now know it to be bull.

26. Erinn on March 27th, 2008 4:50 am

Anything involving the illusive ‘lord satan’ gets my attention. They are long overdue for a second release, lets hope it’s not a sophmore jinx

27. nick on March 29th, 2008 4:12 pm

any ideas when the new album is due for release?

28. marc on April 8th, 2008 3:01 am

i cant wait for this album . change in cover instead of woman its a guy fighting a mammouth . BEasttt! . hope this album is as good as the first .

29. Happy Birthday me! : The Original Wolfmother Fan Site on July 29th, 2008 1:31 pm

[…] pieces of news about the band, tour updates, verification of song lyrics, and the odd rumour or two (which alas have tended to be […]

30. Rumour: Line up change : The Original Wolfmother Fan Site on August 4th, 2008 10:55 am

[…] the forum has had plenty of bullshit rumours before, not least the Mammoth debacle (several people a day still find this site by searching Google for “Wolfmother […]

31. Fat Boy on October 29th, 2009 11:27 am

Just heard the new album…….. What a load of metal RUBBISH! Enough said.