Wolfmother’s new drummer?

January 11, 2009 by

Earlier today I noticed a comment on the last post that created some massive deja-vu feelings. The comment from Michael said “THE NEW DRUMMER IS David? “?Acost?a”? Atkin?s” and a link to a MySpace profile. My immediate thought was “is this another Joshua Kerr?”, so I emailed Michael and asked for the source of his information.

Michael received a bulletin from The Drum Dojo, a professional drum school in Brisbane, that said:

David Atkins is listed as a teacher at The Drum Dojo, listed as “Dave Atkins (Resin Dogs/Pangaea/Hung/Wolfmother)”.

Following so far? Well another small indicator is that David is in Wolfmother’s top friends on their MySpace page.

And finally, I found a blog post from April 2008 that said:

Source
Although Andrew Stockdale has apparently been recording demos with Resin Dogs’ drummer Dave Atkins it hasn’t heralded a move away from a 1970s rock sound into hip-hop… The song definitely remains the same…

All the signs point towards this being a valid rumour, but until I hear something more official I’ll not be getting too excited given other rumours last year. Anyone know anything about this guy or his previous bands?

Comments

46 Responses to “Wolfmother’s new drummer?”

1. Anonymous on January 11th, 2009 6:18 pm

Its funny on his myspace he has Roadhouse Blues which sounds like woman

2. cotw on January 11th, 2009 6:19 pm

^ that was me saying that, i jumped the gun

3. Jimmmy on January 11th, 2009 6:53 pm

OH MY GOD… I LOVE YOU CHIMMY! THIS HAS MADE MY DAY!
    WOLFMOTHER II IS COMING TOGETHER ATLAST!
    (sorry for caps but i am soo HAPPY!)

4. DanLeary on January 11th, 2009 9:46 pm

Please be true.

5. Fwer on January 11th, 2009 9:51 pm

We can only hope…

6. Schwansz on January 11th, 2009 10:22 pm

niiiceee……this looks promising!

7. thatvfvodiadi on January 11th, 2009 10:42 pm

…at last. yes. good.

8. Krkla on January 11th, 2009 11:40 pm

awesome news :-D and the guy in the back is actually the frontman Sune Rose Wagner of the fairly well known band The Raveonettes.. pretty big in the US but they are from Denmark.. (he’s from my town and i actually know him :-P ) rather funny i think..

9. Rob Maric on January 12th, 2009 8:16 am

haha… that photo is NOT dave atkins

this is him

10. jammin on January 12th, 2009 2:52 pm

This is some of the best news I have ever heard!!! We can only hope that this is all true andthat the pieces of Wolfmother II are finally falling into their place.

11. chimaera on January 12th, 2009 2:56 pm

@Rob – whoops. I had to go from what I could dig from his MySpace account, but the pic comments indicated that these were him. Ah well.

12. DanLeary on January 13th, 2009 12:32 am

At first I was hopefully but now that I reread the article I’m having doubts… this was some random guy who commented on Wolfmother’s myspace with a picture of a private message as a source? This has got to be fake.

13. DanLeary on January 13th, 2009 12:37 am

“As we write these lines” “Nice one Dave” I really hope I am wrong but that just seems like something someone who was trying to contrive bullshit would say. I’m shockrf I didn’t write (/ photoshop) that message myself.

14. DanLeary on January 13th, 2009 12:44 am

(maybe if we are skeptical about a rumor for once we will all be wrong like always and it will come true)//

15. chimaera on January 13th, 2009 11:48 am

DanLeary, at first I shared your skepticism, but the ‘proof’ (ie the MySpace bulletin) was only given after several emails back and forth, and wasn’t even an image, it was cut and pasted into Gmail (magically keeping its formatting). So it is 100% not PSed.

16. frances on January 16th, 2009 10:30 pm

actually, that is a picture of Dave Atkins, i’m used to seeing him with long hair and a mustache, sometimes even a beard, but he’s rockin’ the clean look now.

17. viktor on January 18th, 2009 11:25 pm
  18. b on January 19th, 2009 12:03 am

Yep… Dave Atkins is the new drummer :-)

He’s a kick-ass drummer/percussionist/musician/producer who’s worked with heaps of aussies and internationals.That picture up top isn’t him either…

Don’t be quick to pigeon-hole him as a performer either – I’ve seen him play straight up hip-hop drums (standing up) while ‘conducting’ the resin dogs, heavy metal guitar riffage, off-beat groove metal drums, latin-style percussion, and dj scratching/sampling/mixing… the list goes on.

19. DanLeary on January 19th, 2009 12:22 am

Is Dave planning on becoming a permanent member? He has done/is with so many other projects it’s hard for me to see him as always being there for Wolfmother.

20. Anonymous on January 22nd, 2009 2:40 am

he’s from australia wow i thought andrew was gonna get americans to replace myles

21. Anonymous on January 22nd, 2009 7:44 am

keep the band Australian i say!!!!!!!

22. Silky on January 23rd, 2009 12:23 am

sweeeeeeeeettttttt!!!!! he’s australian!!!

as long as he aint crap im happy

23. charlie on January 27th, 2009 3:42 am

Hahaha that photo is not dave atkins dude

24. charlie on January 27th, 2009 3:59 am

DUDE! That isn’t him either! hahaha where are you getting these photos from?

Front on the left, thats him

25. MIchael. s. on January 29th, 2009 6:23 am

YAY! I get all the props since i found out this news. AND this is his artist page for Meinl cymbals – http://www.meinlcymbals.com/artists/artist/ARTIST/david_atkins.html?cHash=293f3c5a5f

26. jimmi on January 30th, 2009 11:14 am

ermmm we are going by the images from a top friend on the wolfmother myspace page… which is wierdly called David Atkins…

27. drbob222 on January 31st, 2009 1:44 pm

Actually the guy only revealed his name to be David on his myspace page. I think it’s safe to say that we all just assumed he was David ATKINS. But based on Charlie’s findings this guy is obviously not Dave Atkins. I would really like to know who this guy is though

28. Anonymouse on February 1st, 2009 12:22 am

Kinda not good lookin

29. Anonymous on February 1st, 2009 7:27 am

Kinda one of the best drummers in the world…what’s more important to you?

30. thatvfvodiadi on February 1st, 2009 9:45 am

oh gosh darn it the last thing we need is superficiality, peeps i bet you hes a nice guy…heh, he says something to the effect of, ‘the more flavoursome food you eat the tastier your drumming will be’ haha, i find that awesome\m/

31. em on February 2nd, 2009 1:35 am

Dats not Dave Atkins
    but if Dave Atkins is the new drummer then we are about to see a real drummer behind Andrew finally
    Dave is the best this country has to offer for sure
    you may remember him from Pengea Days

cant wait to catch this please be for real

32. MIchael. s. on February 2nd, 2009 7:54 am

UMMM
    Has any one got this e mail saying White Feather instead of Wolfmother on like a gig flyer from the mailing list thingo??

33. thatvfvodiadi on February 2nd, 2009 11:51 am

WHHHHHHHAAAAAAAT???????!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!!??!
    IMPOSSIBLE

34. thatvfvodiadi on February 2nd, 2009 11:56 am

I just checked my mail, i got it too! is that the Album Name?? OHHHHH!!!! New Band Name???? Support band??? White Feather….White Feather!!!
    coursing through my mind….who else got it? who else??? thoughts, anyone? what the hell is going on???? i kinda love it but yeah we need to see what this all is….is Andrew renaming the band as respect to what he chris and miles shared? Is he? well???! sorry chimaera dont delete my excited comments, youre awesome…but…whats going on???

35. Anonymous on February 2nd, 2009 6:38 pm

Did anyone else see that Dimension was used in a Superbowl commercial?

36. Anonymous on February 2nd, 2009 10:12 pm

yeah, dimension was used for a chuck 3d commercial

37. zeitgeist8 on February 3rd, 2009 12:39 am

WHITE FEATHER gig is now on Wolfmother’s myspace page. Two shows are being preformed on the 6th and the 8th. THAT’S 4 DAYS AWAY!!! Apparently the band is now called White Feather. We shall see if it is a temporary name or if I am a permanent White Feather fan.

Here is the event site:

P.S. Can someone say “new youtube material”?

38. Silky on February 3rd, 2009 3:26 am

White Feather

starts with W and ends in “er”, has same number of words and syllables as wolf mother…..

OH BOY

do they have a keyboardist goin for ’em? coz i really hope they keep that wolfmother sound

39. MIchael. s. on February 3rd, 2009 6:44 am

WHOEVER RUNS THIS SITE has to update the gig counter because there is a gig in Brisbane on the 6th but its over 18 so i cant go :(

40. chimaera on February 3rd, 2009 8:01 am

Michael S – that would be me, and yes, I will get the site updated as soon as I can. I’ve had other (real life) things to do the last couple of days.

Exciting news though!

41. Milton Acosta on February 4th, 2009 6:28 am

Dave Atkins is my son, I wish him well and of course he is the BEST DRUMMER IN THE WORLD.

Well done Son !!

42. em on February 10th, 2009 1:53 am

yeH DAVE IS THE NEW DRUMMER
    AND FORM SEEING FRIDAY NIGTH
    HE IS IT im mean the shit hot shit

the dude is amazing

well done lovin the new wolfmother

43. Anonymous on February 12th, 2009 2:24 pm

They are keeping Wolfmother as there name,They are also on there way to America this weekend to record the new album

44. Sensi Beatworthy on March 17th, 2009 11:08 am

I’m the dude who wrote the original message on the top of this discussion page….The one that says “as we write these lines” Shit.
    Anyway this one one of those times in life where I get to say you Fucker’s should have

45. Sensei Beatworthy on March 17th, 2009 11:13 am

believed in us and what we said was true…..SO NOW BELIEVE US WHEN WE SAY YOU SHOULD LEARN DRUMS FROM US!!!!!

46. Sensei Beatworthy on March 17th, 2009 11:35 am

By the way that photo is definatly not Dave.
    This is –

You kids have no idea of the career that this dude has had before now….
    He can play any style anywhere, on any piece of shit drum kit and make it sound amazing. He is an amazing producer that has recorded all over the world. The guy has rhythm in him no matter what instrument he plays. Put sticks in his hands and groove flys out all over a drum set.
    He puts his hands on a turntable and he can scratch like mix master mike. He can play bass better than your bass player. Guitar, keys on and on….

Pangaea- was Daves first stand out band with bass play Ben Ely (from Regurgitator) and a Guitarist call Jim Sinclair that also was a motherfucker on his instrument. This band allone proves that he worthy of playing for Wolfmother. Ask Valve records maybe there is samples on their myspace….