White Feather – formally known as Wolfmother(?)

February 3, 2009 by

Many of you will have seen the emailer about the new gig coming up and the apparent band name change (personally I haven’t officially had the email yet – damn mailing system). Without an announcement alongside this, it is difficult to know what is behind this – is it:

1. a permanent band name change to reflect the new direction, or “phase II” if you wish?
  2. a temporary change aimed at ‘testing the waters’ with a new lineup, in the hope that if things don’t go so well the Wolfmother name won’t be too badly tarnished?
  3. simply a promotional stunt aimed at getting mugs like us speculating what is going on to regenerate interest in the band?
  4. something else entirely?

My speculation is that it’s point 2 or 3 and not a permanent move.

Anyway, the upshot for now is that there are two gigs coming up very soon – click the images for tickets:

White Feather Gig

White Feather Gig

More news when I get it!

Comments

38 Responses to “White Feather – formally known as Wolfmother(?)”

1. Schwansz on February 3rd, 2009 9:48 am

This is becoming more mysterious every day!! I hope we`ll get some official news soon, there`s def. a lot going on with Wolfmother, but only Andrew and certain persons know! questions…. questions….

-A confused Dutch Wolfmother-fan, living in Norway.

2. Wolfmother--NY on February 3rd, 2009 2:55 pm

White Feather??? Why??? Check this out, I really hope this band name change has NOTHING to do with this wikipedia article – saying that a single white feather is a symbol of cowardice.

3. BlackAdder on February 3rd, 2009 4:17 pm

Hmm interesting, anywhay Wolfmother > White feather

4. Wolfmother NY on February 3rd, 2009 5:38 pm

My post was deleted??? wolfmother = white feather, might mean cowardice on wolfmothers part…dont get me wrong, I love the group, but the white feather is a symbol of cowardice. I hope it has no connection, but its worth being said

5. Gabouka on February 3rd, 2009 5:50 pm

I’m very excited, and looking forward for this gig! I hope we will get some news, and the most important, some videos too.
    I think this new band name, White Feather is something, that we could think on, and of course silly, as Wolfmother, but it is strangely close to White Stripes. Maybe we’ll get a Jack White clone wiht an afro-style hair and “wolfy” face, but who knows, what future brings. Though I love and enjoy everything, that Jack White releases, but I don’t want another copy of him or his music. Andrew and his band must be unique in his category.
    This is my theory. Its background, that once we had a rumour, that The Raconteurs members will join the band.
    I know I was complicated, and the chance to come true is very little, but who knows it NOWADAYS….

6. Anonymous on February 3rd, 2009 6:31 pm

or it could be the name of one of the new songs, which is why i’m not reading too much into the whole symbolism thing..just a thought…

7. Jonathan Likes White Feather on February 3rd, 2009 7:41 pm

As my name says above, I dont mind White Feather at all

8. Vegabond on February 3rd, 2009 8:06 pm

White Feather, eh!? Either way, I’m still stoked for Phase II. I would love for them to keep “Wolfmother,” but it’s all up to them. I’m cool either way!

9. Rookie on February 3rd, 2009 10:15 pm

I like number 3, but it could also just be the name of the album….
    I mean, it really wasn’t specific, and although it implied that the title ‘Wolfmother’ on the website was the band name, it coulda been the album name as well. Just to shed some light on that option too.

10. Anonymous on February 3rd, 2009 11:32 pm

Im glad that there are 2 concerts coming up so quickly!

I think this is just a name for the two concerts that are coming up.

11. Silky on February 4th, 2009 2:14 am

things are finally in motion……….!!!

12. Kevin Shabel on February 4th, 2009 5:43 am

GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!!
    The Clipsal 500 show in march still has the band WOLFMOTHER scheduled to play and there is nothing about White Feather. Also, their actual website has NOTHING about ‘White Feather’ on it. Plus, on their myspace it still says WOLFMOTHER everywhere and if you click on their ‘White Feather’ concert links it gives you more detail and the band listed to play is WOLFMOTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here are the myspace links:

and the Clipsal 500 link:

This leads me to believe that the band is still WOLFMOTHER especially considering the fact that their website still says WOLFMOTHER as well. I personally think that the next album is most likely called “White Feather” and at they will perform the album in its entirety at the concert .

or

It could be the name of their ‘tour.’ Bands do name their tours. Pink Floyd’s “In the Flesh” tour is coming to mind to give an example.

Anyway, I hope to God that I am at least partially right and that they are STILL WOLFMOTHER!!!!!!

13. Kevin Shabel on February 4th, 2009 5:48 am

P.S.

something interesting:
    on Die! Die! Die!’s myspace the band they are listed to play with is “White Feather Mother” not simply, “White Feather”

14. Anonymous on February 4th, 2009 6:29 am

just because u googled ‘white feather’ doesn’t mean that andrew and the guys place the same common meaning on the phrase

15. chimaera on February 4th, 2009 8:16 am

Okay, from doing some more digging around I am fairly sure that this is option 2. Many bands have done it in the past, the “secret gig at a small venue under a different name” – this is testing the waters and new line up to gauge the reaction before going back fully fledged to Wolfmother.

16. metalheadbanger on February 4th, 2009 11:33 am

this is like some huge saga now i just liked their music and want to hear more, I don’t care about the name, or the album name, or their Myspace page can’t he just play his guitar with some drummer and bassist, Myles and Chris aren’t really that good, there’d be lots of guys that could replace them in skill, so he just has to find someone that writes some ok songs and he can right the rest. they tried to get too big and rockstarish, why did they release a DVD after one album? just play gooodammit!!

17. Fwer on February 4th, 2009 1:49 pm

As long as they make more music it doesn’t matter to me

18. drbob222 on February 4th, 2009 2:01 pm

I will still listen to them but I just don’t think it will be the same if they abandon the Wolfmother moniker:(

19. Matt on February 5th, 2009 2:33 am

What’s in a name?
    It has been such a long time since the first album. I think a name change is a great way of wolfmother shedding the rockstar image they have earned. They went mainstream so quickly, maybe they want to just fly under the radar for a while.

I like the name, but that’s irrelevant, I love thier music and I’m going to enjoy myself on Sunday. I’ll see some of you there!

And though I don’t think it is permanent, I suppose we’ll find out at the show!

20. Silky on February 5th, 2009 3:32 am

keep us posted then aye matty?

21. Spencer on February 5th, 2009 9:50 am

no they should keep there ‘rock star’ image, the world needs more real rocks now!

22. Spencer on February 5th, 2009 9:51 am

Somebody bring a camera to the gig!

23. Schwansz on February 5th, 2009 10:28 am

I am quite sure that a lot of questions will be solved at the gigs!

24. Mike on February 6th, 2009 8:04 am

Sweet, it’s tonight

25. DanLeary on February 6th, 2009 9:24 am

Today is the day dfsdgfsdgdfgfdsgfsdgsdgsdfsdfsd

26. Wolfmother NY on February 6th, 2009 3:05 pm

I CAN’T WAIT…all the Aussies on here better post lots of details and pics

27. Caleb on February 6th, 2009 8:26 pm

its Saturday 6:22 AM right now in queensland so thats means they played their show 12 hours ago!

28. WOLFIE EAST COAST U.S.A on February 6th, 2009 8:47 pm

Who went to the show??? I’m curious to know how it went and WHO played! :) Someday had to have taken pictures or video! Show your face already!

29. jimmi on February 6th, 2009 9:01 pm

go to the forums for a picture of the new line up :P

30. JOHNNO on February 6th, 2009 10:27 pm

OKAY GUYS THIS IS OFFICIAL.WHITE FEATHER WAS A NAME TO TEST THE WATERS WITH A NEW LINE UP.RECORDING TAKES PLACE SOON FOR THE NEXT ALBUM.SAW THESE GUYS IN THE VALLEY BRISBANE ON FRIDAY 6TH FEB.LOOK OUT WOLFMOTHER FANS THINGS ARE ABOUT TO BE MORE EXPLOSIVE THAN THE ORIGINAL LINE UP.ESPECIALLY WITH DAVE AITKINS ON DRUMS.HE IS GOING TO BLOW YOU ALL AWAY.

31. mv on February 6th, 2009 10:31 pm

any pics or vids or audio or……anything?

32. mv on February 6th, 2009 10:49 pm

o and your up awfully early on a saturday

33. Silky on February 7th, 2009 2:22 am

lol, STOP GETTING MY HOPES UP WITH YOUR CAPSLOCK JOHNNO

34. JOHNNO on February 7th, 2009 3:25 am

FFFFFFFFFFWWWWWWWWWW

35. DanLeary on February 7th, 2009 3:47 am

Do they still have the psychedelic thing going on and by explosive you don’t mean power metal do you?

36. Brendan on February 13th, 2009 6:13 am

I posted as anonymous the other day in reference to you douches thinking ‘White Feather’ was somehow related to ‘cowardice’.

Following Andrew and the guys’ return at the weekend, here’s the proof: it’s a tongue in cheek reference to 70s band Blackfeather.

37. La Chupacabra on February 17th, 2009 10:20 pm

Wow, I hope this isn’t going to be some crazy stunt where they try to have a free-form improvisational jazz jam, or come out of pods or something.

Those are “This is Spinal Tap” references, people.

38. Bryce on October 28th, 2009 3:20 am

Turns out “White Feather” was just the name of a song from Cosmic Egg.