Dave Atkins leaves Wolfmother

April 23, 2010 by

It seems things are changing yet again in the Wolfmother camp… after under two years of service, drummer David “Acosta” Atkins has decided to leave the band. In an email sent to mailing list subscribers, it was revealed that “Dave Atkins has decided to leave the band to spend much-needed time at home with his family”, possibly choosing to favour his other music endeavours (Resin Dogs, drum tuition) over The Wolfies. The email went on to say that “Dave has had a great experience touring and recording with the band … and may well still be around for future recordings”, although let the history books read that Atkins left the band in April 2010. We here at WM.net would like to say thanks for everything, Dave!

But Wolfmother will not be without a member, as they have wasted no time in hiring an American drummer called…

Will Rockwell-Scott!

Rockwell-Scott has performed with an American garage rock band called The Mooney Suzuki since its foundation in 1996, and has now joined Wolfmother on a temporary trial basis until the end of the Cosmic Egg touring cycle, until at least the end of this summer, although it is likely (dare I say) that he will then stay on full-time. The Mooney Suzuki are a great, fast-paced, all-out rock band, who you may recognise as the creators of “Shake That Bush Again”, which was featured on the video game Burnout 3, and/or “Alive & Amplified”, which was featured in a number of video games and performed well in the charts. The story of Rockwell-Scott’s enlistment is as follows: “After Andrew’s performances in L.A with Slash, the band decided to audition a few drummers whilst they were in town. And we’ve come across a young gun by the name of Will Rockwell-Scott of ‘Mooney Suzuki’ and ‘Har Mar Superstar’ fame. We’re very happy to have him on board and Will is keen as mustard to enter into the realm of Wolfmother.”

So turn those frowns upside down — we’ve got a new Wolfie on board, and it seems Dave could be hanging about making some rare appearances… WOLFMOTHER! Discuss it on the forums :)

Comments

16 Responses to “Dave Atkins leaves Wolfmother”

1. Waters on April 23rd, 2010 9:08 am

This is a great thing. Dare I say that Dave didn’t have IT? I genuinely don’t think he was good enough (not speaking about technique, but feeling rather). I think this is an opportunity and I hope Will can contribute in the same way that Myles did in his time, because Dave sure didn’t. Also – he had a frikkin mullet.
    WM fo-evah

2. Andre on April 23rd, 2010 10:02 am

Dave was a legend, in my opinion… but Will has a lot of experience with a relatively popular band (although, dare I say, not as popular as WM), and he seems like a great guy to be in a band – reliable and sturdy.

3. Gary on April 23rd, 2010 3:19 pm

This concerns me. Is this band going to break up after every album? I absolutely love Wolfmother and it pains me to see this becoming a trend. It’s hard for me to try and push Wolfmother to everyone I know when the band is forever changing. Might as well call them “Andrew Stockdale.”

4. chimaera on April 23rd, 2010 6:45 pm

I was just coming online to post about this having caught up with my emails! I’m not totally surprised, I think the gig he missed recently was a sign. He was a great drummer for Wolfmother, but hopefully the new guy will settle in and rock just as hard.

5. Anonymous on May 3rd, 2010 8:58 am

He might not rock hard, but he might rockwell…

…..Geddit?

6. Jimmi on May 3rd, 2010 8:37 pm

honestly.. i have absolutely no idea what you are going on about :P

7. p on May 10th, 2010 5:13 am

Dave was a stoner. I hung out with the band after the House of Blues show in Dallas last October and he was hitting this guy’s pipe (not tobacco, but weed for those of you less intelligent to get the hint) like crazy. He kept hitting it and hitting it like an absolute doped-up stoner. Major kudos to Ian for never touching the pipe – saying “not tonight… gotta play tomorrow”. Aiden hit the pipe once and called it quits. Andrew was still inside for the after party and never touched it….. But dave kept toking and toking and toking and I couldn’t help but think how much he didn’t seem to fit in. Although the show was absolutely phenomenal, dave just seemed so apart of it all. No offense to the guy. Hell, he signed my CD book twice, telling me “I need a sharpie so I can do it right” after already signing the book in ball-point pen. I have major respect for him. Something that night didn’t sit well with me and I’m at peace with what’s going on. For Gary to say that it might as well be called “Andrew Stockdale”, you clearly didn’t see them this go-round, as the new additions never missed a beat. I welcome the new drummer, and will gladly travel again to see them. I told Andrew I drove 9 hours to see the Dallas show and he was amazed. Brother Stockdale, please don’t be. As I told you, you guys are one of the greatest rock bands of my generation!

8. Jacie on May 11th, 2010 1:47 pm

Completely agree with you p, one of the greatest bands of our generation. Myles started it all, Dave was brilliant. I know this band has a lot of mileage left, so I’m pleased to see Will carrying on the torch and rocking on!

9. Andre on May 13th, 2010 1:02 pm

p, thanks a lot for the great comment, it was a good read and I like your attitude. Welcome to the band, WRS.

10. Karan Murthy on June 10th, 2010 9:35 pm

There is an international event in which UNESCO is a part of. The event is a youth mission . As wolfmother is a youth oriented band i want to request them to perform at the event. The event details will be provided if the band is interested. Contact my mail address and i hope that Wolfmother will accept my humble request.

11. AirHendrix on June 28th, 2010 6:24 pm

Well, at least he looks the part. Atkins looked so out of place in that band. Seriously.

12. Wolfmother to return to the UK : The Original Wolfmother Fan Site on March 31st, 2011 3:54 pm

[…] dates also mark the first time Wolfmother will be performing in the UK since replacing drummer Dave Atkins with The Mooney Suzuki’s Will “Rockwell” Scott back in April 2010. Tickets for […]

13. Judd Kalish Daves drum tech for that tour on January 28th, 2012 1:58 am

it wwas a sad day when dave left , but he saved the day for Wolfmothers shows where the replacement dummer could not play. Dave is a Pro at what ever he does.
    that band is under payed overwork and treated like shit it is sad that Anderws WAS AT THE RAINS IF THAT RUNAWAY TRAIN taking all the money for him self .

EVERY BAND SHOULD HAVE AN EQUAL SHARE OF THE PROFITS . IT IS THE ONLY WAY THE OLD TIMERS MADE IT WORK . IT IS A FACT

IT IS THE PEOPLE BEHIND YOU THAT HOLD YOU HIGH,IF THEY ARE NOT TREATED RIGHT THE MACHINE BREAKS DOWN.

JUDD 480 399 3889

14. Judd Kalish Daves drum tech for that tour on January 28th, 2012 2:01 am

will could no handle the road , it chewed him up and spit him out . I hope he is in a better place>

15. crossfit gym near me on December 10th, 2016 4:21 am

Hi there, of course this paragraph is in fact nice and I
    have learned lot of things from it about blogging.
    thanks.

16. Axiom on April 11th, 2019 4:30 am

p, your a piece of shit, dude signed your shit twice and your still going to talk down on his name, dave left Wolfmother because he wasn’t being paid anywhere near enough for the amount of shit he did for the band, he also left because he had a son who needed his father, so before you talk shit about someone maybe think about what that person is going through